Council Tool Pickhead Fire Axe with Fiberglass Handle
6.0# Pickhead fireman’s axe with a 36″ fiberglass handle. Traditional pickhead style. Cutting bit on one end and a pick designed to penetrate on the other. Used in all manner of municipal fire fighting applications, chopping, battering, forcible entry, door stop, etc. Cutting edge is approximately 6″ in overall length.
- Forged tool steel head.
- Made in USA.
- Body fully polished, hand sharpened, tapered cutting edge and pick. Bevel underneath pick head allows for clean cutting and tearing through doors or walls.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Body coated with fire engine red enamel and the cutting edges in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 36″ yellow clad style fiberglass handle. Traditional sledge handle shape. Construction is a pultruded structural fiberglass core with an injection molded jacket acting as an exterior body. The jacket is tough, durable engineered polymer. Extremely strong, non-conductive and non-corrosive.
- Axe head is joined to the handle with a strong resilient epoxy, forming a chemical and mechanical bond. The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond.